july 4 formal 155

July 4th in the Dining Room

When our kids were growing up we held family gatherings at our home for just about every holiday year round. We did all the cooking, clean up, everything. It was fun (mostly) while it lasted. Over the years interest seemed to wane and we became tired. Now I often think of how I would have done things differently now that I have this blog. For sure I would be too pooped to pop because I would want to do everything over the top.

july 4 formal 131

When we stopped having the big over the top holiday parties I kind of gave up on tablescaping as well. I would put a table together and sometimes it would stay the same for months at a time. Now if I have a table up for more than a week I get antsy. I will give the table a chance to breathe every once in a while but a bare table drives me crazy.

july 4 formal 188

The dining room table has been breathing since the day after Father’s Day and it’s ready to go. July 4th will be very quiet around here especially since Gabbi is off on her vacation but a pretty table is still in order.

july 4 formal 118

For this table I wanted a something that was comfortable but classy. I dug into my hoarders bin determined not to buy anything new. Mostly every item here was purchased at rock bottom prices.

july 4 formal 112

july 4 formal 117

The navy and white napkins are from an awesome thrift store that carries lots of Target merchandise. I only paid $3.98 for them. The red oval tray that holds the candles and flowers caught my eye as I was leaving the store. At $6.00 there was no way I was leaving it there!

july 4 formal 119

july 4 formal 100

Pier 1 is another weakness that I’ve confessed to and boy did I score! Red goblets and navy placemats, $1.98 each. The plates and blue flutes, all from the dollar store. I’ve had the flowers and candles for eons. One of these days I’ll learn the name of the white thingamajig that’s from TJ Maxx several years ago: $7.00. The most expensive item on the table is the flatware which is a purchase from Amazon.com for a mere $15.95.

july 4 formal 177

Not too bad if I must say so myself. It’s been a while since I put together a table for the kitchen and I think it’s time I did. Stay tuned.

There are so awesome features and tons of inspirations at the following parties. Drop by and see what they’re offering. Hope to see you there!

Everyday Home

It’s Overflowing

Katherine’s Corner

DIY by Design

24 thoughts on “July 4th in the Dining Room

1. Bev

Lovely…your centerpiece is perfect for the holiday. Love the way you have layered in all the patriotic colors. Great!

2. Wanda

Very nice, I received those red glasses from Pier One a couple years ago for Christmas, don’t think they were $1.98. Although recently new to tablescaping, I have found 1.98 wine glasses in the clearance section, which I check out every week now. The table is lovely.

Thanks so much Wanda! There is so much eye candy in Pier One it’s a challenge sometimes to stay focused. I do my best to make my way to the clearance section first. It’s usually when I wander to the rest of the store that I get a tad carried away. I appreciate you stopping by and I hope you come back again.

3. Liz @ Infuse With Liz

Your table turned out fabulous. I like the dishes and stemware. Turning the white dish like this makes a much better impression! I’m in the same boat so to speak- kids aren’t at home anymore and the fun factor has changed. I keep inspired by doing things like these tablescapes too.

Hello Liz and I’m happy you came over here to check out my table. You’re so right the fun factor is a bit different with all the kids gone. I love it when they’re all here and I really get to crank it up! Have a great weekend and thanks again for visiting.

4. Chloe Crabtree

I know exactly what you mean about how you would have done things differently and over the top. I still seem to do things over the top, but I don’t get as much of a chance any longer with our family all so far away. When I get the chance, there I go!

We are so blessed that our children still want to come home and have a good time. I just love having the chance to go over the top, glad to see I’m not the only one! Enjoy your holiday!

No kidding you scored on those Pier 1 goblets at just $2 each!!! Man! I wish I would have seen some of those here for that price! I would have knocked folks all over the place like bowling pins trying to get to them!!!

You have a thrift store that carries a lot of Target stuff???!?!?! What the heck kind of thrift store is that??!?!?! We need one of those here in the KC area!!!!! I LOVE those napkins!!!

I believe the “white thingamajig” is called a finial jar. I have a couple of yellow ones from Z Gallerie and a couple of black ones from Tuesday Morning.

Sorry the family won’t be gathered close for the 4th, but I hope Gabbi has a good vacay. Same here, I’m sure. My son will probably to to the lake to hang with his father’s side of the family. Ramon’s kids will be doing God-only-knows-what, although his daughter may end up joining us for a little BBQ. If my sister is in town, I’m sure she & my Mom will want to cook out.

I hope you’re having a good weekend! I’m taking a little 1-hr. break in an otherwise jam packed weekend that involves both a wedding (cut & arranged all the flowers yesterday, setting up the space this afternoon) and Ramon’s family reunion (went to the meet & greet last night, banquet is tonight). I don’t think Ill be going to the picnic they have planned for tomorrow. I do NOT do heat well!!!

Enjoy your weekend!!! Thanks for sharing your pretty table!

Thank you Ma’am! Speaking of Z Gallerie; I put myself through pure torture and spent way too much time on their site wishing. Man do hey have some unique items! It’s a good thing we don’t have one here. You sound like my daughter about the heat. And to think, her wedding is going to be in the middle of July, LOL!!!!

It’s amazing how just a few changes can depict the mood of the room. Even though we can look into one room from the other it’s a different ambiance. Have a great holiday weekend!

6. Lory Bernstein

This is a great setting. I love the goblets in the red and blue and the flowers are fun too. You well solved the issue of how to incorporate blue into the floral arrangement without appearing too purple or clashing with the red. It’s quite pretty. I laughed at your story of how the interest seemed to wane over the years at doing big holiday celebrations because I find my settings are getting more and more elaborate now than before. I, too, have always been the one to do the holidays, but I think it took us so long to decorate our dining room, that I’m first getting into it now… 😉

Thanks so much Lory. I almost hated to take this one down but knew it had run it’s course for this year. Your stationary designs are very pretty, such talent! I hope you visit again..