sweetheart table 7

Let Me Call You Sweetheart

As a Party Stylist I’m really excited that peak wedding season is right around the corner. Soon bells will be ringing for many happy couples. I’m also excited because our youngest daughter recently became engaged. Having some industry experience will be helpful and I’ve promised her that I won’t be one of those overbearing Mothers of the Bride we so frequently see on television.

Wedding trends are so interesting and really run the gamut. Lately I’ve noticed more couples opting for a sweetheart table. A sweetheart table is an area set apart from the bridal party for the bride and groom to share their first meal as husband and wife. This sounds great in theory. However, those against them cite that dining with the bridal party creates somewhat of a barrier between the newlyweds and their guests. By themselves, the bride and groom are often barely able to finish, let alone enjoy their meal because guests want to talk to them. Don’t get me wrong that’s not a bad thing and the happy couple should talk to their guests, after all they invited them. One thing that I’ve suggested to my daughter is that they order two meals to go so that they can truly enjoy the meal alone together.

Sweetheart tables range from a table for two with simple settings to a throne fit for a king and queen. Taste, budget and space are critical factors in deciding what will work best. Whether a couple chooses to have a Sweetheart Table or not they will still work the room and get around to interacting with their guests. I’ve gathered a few pics from around the web and have also included one of my own.

sweetheart table 2 chairs

Source

SAMSUNG

Source

I put together a slideshow of the Sweetheart Table I designed. Enjoy!

Black & White Sweetheart Table

Did you have a Sweetheart Table or would you? I’d love to know what you think. Also, these are the linky parties I participate in. Drop by and show them a little love!

BeBetsy

Everyday Home

It’s Overflowing

18 thoughts on “Let Me Call You Sweetheart

1. Liz

Interesting. It’s been ages since I planned our wedding…and I don’t think we even had time to eat! I wonder what my kids will want when it’s their time?

I ate like a horse at our wedding! I was starving! I hadn’t eaten much more that a few crackers, some grapefruit and as much milk as my body could stand for the week or so leading up to The Day. I wanted to be 100% sure I’d fit properly into my dress. Once the reception was in full swing, I was ready to chow down! I have suggested to my clients in the past that because this is the biggest party they may well ever host on their own behalf (unless they are somehow coronated Queen or something!), they should make the most of it all around. Having “to go” meals is part of that, but taking the time to sit amongst all the many guests who have taken time out of their lives (not to mention plunking down a bunch of $$$ for gifts, travel, hotel room, etc.) is a great way to make guests feel truly welcome. By sitting off alone, it seems to convey to me that the couple feel themselves more important. If a couple just insisted on a sweetheart table (or even if they wish to sit with their bridal party & their spouse/significant other), I would always encourage that rather than placing that table at the front of the room that they consider placing it dead center in the midst of all the guests. In that way, all of the guests are literally and figuratively surrounding the couple with their love. Further, the couple have a panoramic view of all the guests and decor, and they don’t miss a thing! Married people have all the years ahead of them to eat just the 2 of them. They’ll WISH there were more people around to dine with them when they get years into their marriage or become empty nesters!!! 🙂 🙂 🙂 To each his own, though.

Sweetheart tables provide a great opportunity for over-the-top decorating in honor of the couple, but I think it’s all about placement when all is said and done. The couple can nibble through the dinner hour if there are guests who leave their tables to approach them with their well wishes, and then eat heartier later on. Those are my thoughts on the subject! 🙂

I love the idea of having the table in the center of it all. While doing some research I found others that felt the same. There were lots of pictures with the table being placed in a position of authority or royalty. Invited guests wanting to talk to the happy couple comes with the territory and they should never be overlooked. That being said Sweetheart Tables are an excellent decorating opportunity for the couple that wants to add a little something extra to the festivities. To each his own indeed and I have a few more up my sleeve 🙂

3. Debbie @ Deliciously Inspired

Hi Sandra – What a beautiful table setting. The black and white table runner is perfect with the pink flowers. My daughter and son-in-law had a sweetheart table at their wedding several years ago. My daughter was ill at the time (she is better now) and didn’t have the energy to move around to the different tables. The table was a perfect solution to their guest coming to them to visit during the reception.

Hi Debbie! So happy your daughter is doing well and that she was able to still mingle with her guests. I love using black and white as staple colors and then adding pops with more vibrant ones. Thanks for visiting!

4. Ramona

Planning a wedding is a daunting… and fun task. I love the research part to get all the ideas! 🙂 I did a lot of personalized favors from online sites. I think I went a little crazy. 🙂 I practically lived at Michael’s. 🙂

5. Dan

Personally, I love the idea of a sweetheart table! It’s the only surefire way for the bride and groom to get some alone time. In terms of decorating, a sweetheart table also adds an extra design element to the overall layout. Stylish table skirting and chair sashes (just like the picture you posted) really stand out against the standard polys and satins used to decorate guest tables. Thanks for the read! 🙂

Hi Dan, thank you so much for paying me a visit. I love having options and a Sweetheart Table is a fun and stylish one to have. I also like the idea of skirting the table. Satin tablecloths are so pretty and I’m looking forward to adding them to my stash. I hope you stop by again.

Thank you Nancy! Whether I’m styling for a shoot or a real event I have lots of fun and that makes is so worthwhile.

6. Nami | Just One Cookbook

We had the sweetheart table for our Japan wedding. We barely sit and had a meal though… so busy walking around and greet. But it was nice to have our own table and chit chat with my husband once in a while. You’re going to be busy for the wedding season coming up! I can’t wait to see your projects afterwards! 🙂