valentines table 4

Valentines From Days Gone By

I have been battling headaches and to my surprise sky high blood pressure so here’a another blast from the past’

I’m telling you all of my dishes have been in rotation for the last couple of months. I’m really trying to use the dishes I have on hand and so far so good. This table came together quickly and I hope I’ve done the holiday justice. I have a little something in the works that’s been keeping me busy and I’ll be sharing it with you real soon.

Everyone should have a set of white dishes in their cupboards. These are from the dollar store and they have gone above and beyond the call of duty.

The plate with the rose flower motif is a partial set that belonged to my mom. I am having so much fun using her treasures and sharing them with you. These dishes don’t have any markings on them and I think she may have gotten them with her washing powder. Many years ago you could get dishes and sometimes washcloths in a box of washing powder. I don’t remember the brand name, but I do remember thinking that was the greatest thing ever. I don’t have a complete set but I’m loving what I have.

The dessert forks in the bowls I got at TJ Maxx last fall.

Years ago I was an Avon lady and that’s where the stemware came from. The color is beginning to wear away on the water goblet. I think that just adds character. The burgundy ones and the cake server are from the same series and were a gift from one of my best friends.

Another Avon treasure holds the Little Debbie frosted brownies. It’s actually a cheese dish and I won’t tell if you won’t.

I think the faux Mother of Pearl flatware is perfect for this holiday and you can expect to see them again around Easter time. You can never have too many white cloth napkins and I do plan on getting more before the year is out. I also plan to learn some new napkin folds. The multi-purpose red tablecloth is from Kohl’s and the white runner is from Value City.

On one of my thrift store shopping sprees I got the goblets that the heart candies are in. Sixty cents each; you can’t beat that with a hammer!

I allowed myself a trip into TJ Maxx right after my birthday and the tall cake stand somehow jumped into my cart. At $9.99 who was I to say no?

The red votive holder and matching container with top are from an after Christmas sale at Hobby Lobby four years ago. Both pieces were under $5.00.

I decided to cover a couple of books in vintage type scrapbook paper. I’d seen something similar at The White Library. I liked the look of the vintage jewelry that Sandra Downie used and begged and borrow a few pieces from Charisse. The cluster earrings belonged to my Aunt Ida who made the best gumbo in the world. I knew I’d never wear them, but also knew I’d never part with them.

The flowers were an afterthought and I’m glad I thought it over. I ran into Family Dollar on my way home from classes and picked them up. They were like dotting the I’s and crossing the T’s. I may borrow a few pieces from this table for my Valentine’s dessert table. You knew there’d be one right?

These are the linky parties I participate in. Drop by and show them a little love!

Open House Thursday

BeBetsy

Everyday Home

24 thoughts on “Valentines From Days Gone By

1. SamsBabyCakes

I always love to see you use Grandmamma’s dishes. 🙂 Hope you stay feeling like you’re wearin your “jetpack”! But, still tale ‘er easy there sugar-love. 🙂 mmmwwwaaaa!

2. BeBetsy - Smashingly Good Living

Sandra, what a beautiful table this week! Love the theme of Days Gone By with the wonderful jewelry, flowers, and the dainty china with the little flowers.

Thanks for sharing it on your gallery at Simply BeBetsy!

Warm regards on this day before Valentines… hope you get lots of chocolate hearts.
    Sharon and Denise

I’m not going to preach. Oh, wait….YES I AM!!! You KNOW we have to watch that salt intake! That’s been a big deal for me, too. My husband has had it since he was 19. SKINNY little dude, too!!! It’s hereditary for him. Same for me.

It’s much more fun to see pretty tablescapes and fun ideas than to have blood pressure headaches! Thanks for the little trip down memory lane…and take care of yourself!!! (Says the woman who’s anxiously awaiting her husband with barbeque for dinner!) 😉

Preach on Sister! We all need a few outside voices ringing the alarm bell from time to time. I will heed the warning for sure. Creative doesn’t flow too well when your head is pounding. Now do we need to have a convo about the barbeque?

4. Rosie M.

Such a pretty, pretty table. I love all the extra special touches you added (gotta love those cake stands!). It is a warm, welcoming and romantic table. Bravo! And feel better soon,
    Rosie @ The Magic Hutch

5. Anne@FromMySweetHeart

What a beautiful and eclectic table setting, Sandra….exactly how I love them! Honestly, I just love oogling over all your beautiful stuff. But with every table, I come away with a “now why didn’t I think of that” idea. In this case, it is the cheese cover. I’ve seen so many cheese covers at the thrift store, missing their mates. Next time I’m there, I’m going to scoop one up because they look lovely just covering a pretty plate! I’m sorry you’ve been feeling poorly lately. I’m sure the headaches are related to the blood pressure. This is where I wish we lived closer…..because I’d be over in a heartbeat with anything you need! Feel better soon my dear friend! : )

Anne you do have a very sweet heart. That may sound corny but it is so true. We’d be like to giggling teenagers if we lived closer. We’d probably weigh 20 lbs more also!!!

6. Ramona

You treat your family to such beautiful tables and decorations. I just plunk down the meal and say eat up. I need to get more finesse in my delivery. 🙂 Happy Valentine’s Day. 🙂

There’s a ton of finesse in your delivery. Your family is getting some very delicious and creative meals everyday. I don’t know how you do it.

7. Miss Merry

Oh, I hope you get that blood pressure under control. A while back I thought I was suffering from migranes, but when I went to the doctor, he told me that we were not going for the high score on the blood pressure. Luckily we found medication to keep it under control.

Meanwhile – thank you for sharing your table! You certainly are the Queen of finding the right thing at the right price! Your table is just beautiful and I loved reading the stories of all your finds. It is just lovely.

You are so kind Ms. Merry and I’m so happy you paid me a visit. Don’t you love a doctor with a sense of humor!? I’m on medication also, don’t like it but I don’t like the alternative either. Thanks again!

The headaches and blood pressure so much better, thanks for the well wishes. The older I get the more I treasure my family heirlooms and the more I take care of the things I’ve bought.

8. Nami | Just One Cookbook

Hope you’re not dealing with your headache anymore. What a lovely set for the Valentine’s Day! You’re always busy with holidays and events yet you make time to decorate for guests and blog readers! Fabulous table set, Sandra!