Dickens Village

It feels like I’m moving at a combination of warp speed and a snail’s pace. That sounds crazy, however I’m willing to bet I’m not the only one. This is my last Christmas 2013 table and I hope you enjoy it.

dickens village 10
When I worked at Hudson’s I started collecting Dept 56 pieces. It helped that I managed the Trim a Tree shop one year because I had access to pieces that the public didn’t. The employee discount was a help also.

Usually each year I set out my whole collection and after Thanksgiving I had decided not to set out any at all. My little tabletop display was inspired by one that Susan from Between Naps On the Porch did a few years back.

dickens village 7

dickens village 8

dickens village 9

Of course the White House Bakery had to be included! The other pieces are the Post Office and Scrooge and Marley’s Counting House.

I used green felt as a runner and filled in around the houses with bunting to resemble snow. In the snow are a few bottle brush and evergreen trees that came with the houses. I also tucked in a few battery operated lights that are better seen at night.

dickens village 15

This is probably the first table I’ve done without any candles and it felt a little weird but I got over it. Instead of a tablecloth I used white placemats. The stack begins with fluted red chargers that I got at Big Lots for $1.75 each. Yes, I do love a bargain!

dickens village 3

Next are square white plates topped with round red salad plates. The red plates are also a Big Lots bargain. Lovin the red handled flatware with this setting! The green goblets are a thrift store find and I swiped the striped tumblers from a sleigh set they are part of us. A candy cane and each setting finishes it off.

dickens village 5

dickens village 1

I had a little help here from Princess Gabbi and the first fur baby to arrive for the holidays, Ms. Sasha. Her cousin Gui will be here soon.

dickens village 17

dickens village 18

As the kids come in my time here in blogland will be limited, as it should be so I’m wishing you all the Merriest Christmas and the Happiest Holiday Season. Enjoy your families, be safe and well and thank you so much for taking the time to visit with me here!!!

19 thoughts on “Dickens Village

1. Ramona

What a beautiful display… it looks so quaint. Your grand-daughter is beautiful too. 🙂 Love the doggy socks on your dog… adorable. 🙂 Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas!! Feast. Laugh. Enjoy!!!

Quaint is just the word I was looking for. This table was one of many shortcuts I took this season. I was the only one who was even concerned about it. We had a very Merry Christmas and I hope you did also.

Oh, no you do NOT have socks on the puppy!!!! That is TOO wild!!!!!!!!!!!

Very pretty table! I love the centerpiece! I have always wanted a village like that. I love the “snow” in the village. Looks like it’s enjoying a white Christmas…as are we here in Kansas City.

Enjoy your time with the family, and have a fabulous Christmas!!!!

Puppy girl had socks, jammies, several sweaters and of course a rhinestone studded color. She is getting up in age but she is going out in style. Our Christmas was snowy and bitter cold, and the cold temps just keep coming! Hope you had fun and got some well deserved rest.

3. Liz

Aw, what a cute, festive puppy!!! Your table looks amazing, Sandra. I didn’t get out my Dept 56 stash this year either, but I love the idea of using parts as a holiday centerpiece! Happy New Year, my friend!!!

Ms. Sasha came to visit with quite an extensive wardrobe and we enjoyed her being here. Using just a few parts of my Dept 56 stash was a real time and stress saver. Makes me wonder what else I can do to streamline some holiday decor. Hope your New Year is as fantastic as you are!

4. The Café Sucre Farine

Hello Sandra! Hope you had a wonderful holiday season. We were both wrapped up with little ones, not such a bad thing 🙂 Love your table. You have so much fun. I know the little ones loved this too. Wishing you a happy and blessed start to the new year!

Not a bad thing at all Chris! The time goes by so quickly when we are all together but we do our best to pack in as much love, fun and calories:) as possible.

5. Chloe Crabtree

You have created such a lovely holiday table with the village pieces. Your “snow” is a nice alternative to the shredded stuff I like , EXCEPT for the mess it makes! Happy New Year!

6. Judy

Beautiful table, love your village as your centerpiece with the snow. We have snow here in Kansas City and the temp is 16 with wind chill of 2. So it is not too fun if you have to get out and about. Take care.

7. Linda

Oh, how pretty and bargains to be found too. Love your collection, but the socks on the doggie are adorable.
    Here’s to a bright, happy and healthy new year.

Hi Linda, Happy New Year and thank you for stopping by! Ms. Sasha came to visit from Atlanta and had her on travel bag loaded with outfits. She is a very well dress pooch!

Scrooge would be OK! Thank you for always stopping by, I appreciate it. My granddaughter and grandpup were ready and willing for their close-ups!